Michoacan is a foodies paradise!

Whether you have passion for making real authentic Mexican cuisin, or just love to eat it; this blog is for you. I have been lucky enough to learn from some of the best Chefs aka Abuelita's in Morelia, and my hope is to relay the passion and uniqueness of these plates. Too many of my fellow paisanos do not understand the culinary genious that is Mexico. Americans have been baboozeled by watered down fake Mexican food, and I would like to share the other side of the story. Here you will find advice while traveling in Mexico, along with recipes and pictures. My focus is on Michoacan, but will not be limited only to this beautiful state. Follow me on my journey amigos!

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Dona Tere's Chile Negro

In all my travels in Mexico, I have never seen "Chile Negro" anywhere outside of Michoacan. You can find chile negro back home in the states in most little teinditas (little Mexican stores). It is black in color, and basically looks like a black chili passilla. It is the bomb, and I have never met anyone who does not love the unique sweet and spicy flavor of this dish. Here is the recipe:

Ingredients-
1. 7-10 Chile negro dried Mexican chile's
2. 3-4 cloves of garlic "ajo"
3. 1/2 medium size onion diced
4. 8-10 medium size tomatillos "tomates"
5. Knorr-Suiza "powder chicken bouillon " you can find it in any supermarkets Mexican section"
6. 1 cup of H2O
7. *Secret ingredient- Coka Cola " I know it sounds weird, but trust me on this one"
8. 2 pounds of either pork shoulder or chuck roast cut in 1-2" squares
9. Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Sauce-
Clean off the chilis and cut off the stems. Heat up a enough olive oil to cover the bottom of your saute pan. Add onion to hot oil for two minutes. Put in a bowl. Next add the whole pieces of garlic. Be sure not to burn the garlic or it will ruin the flavor. Fry garlic for a minute or so and put in bowl with onions. Next add the tomatillo's. Fry the tomatillos for three minutes or until they begin to soften, and add to the bowl. Add the chilis. This is important- Do not fry the chilies for more than a minute and a half or they will taste horrible, and continue to keep moving them while you are frying them. Next add 1 cup of water, onion, garlic, and tomatillos, and boil the mix until the chile's are soft. Add to the blender with all the left over olive oil and water. Blend the mix. The sauce should not be too thin. You actually want the sauce thick, but not too thick to blend. Add the sauce into the pot and now is the important part. Add enough Coka-Cola until you reach your desired thickness of sauce. Remember, the sauce will reduce some while it is being cooked. Add one spoonfull after another of the Knorr-Suiza powder chicken bouillon until you have your desired taste. Trust me, you'll know when it is ready, but be sure to go slow because you don't want it too salty. Do not strain the sauce like you would with a chile rojo.

Meat-

I like this recipe with both pork and beef. It is usually served with either one, but you can make it with chicken also. Cut the meat into 1-2" cubes. Salt the meat but not too much. Sear the meat until golden brown and add to the sauce. Cook on low with a lid for 45-60 minutes. Let stand for another 15 minutes. Serve with white rice cooked in chicken broth and corn tortillas. Provecho!

1 comment:

  1. Yo Bro know what you mean about the guinness of the simplicity of Mexican cooking! Its the the bomb, Chile makes the word go round.
    My grandmother enlightened me as a young boy to the wonderful smells of fresh beans and tortillas every time I'd go to visit, it always stayed with me and inspired me to down home cookin.

    ReplyDelete